Australia’s vibrant cities each have their own unique flavor, but they also share some common traits. They’re all filled with friendly locals, funky suburbs, festive events and plenty of places to grab a pint and make new friends. Add these fun things to do and see when you're visiting popular cities Down Under, including Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.
Sydney's Best Excursions
1. Witness a performance at the World Heritage-listed masterpiece and architectural icon, the Sydney Opera House.
2. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge for a breathtaking view of one of the most gorgeous cities in the world.
3. See authentic Aboriginal art at the Art Gallery of New South Wales in Sydney.
Melbourne's Most Iconic Sports Experiences
1. Cheer with 100,000 screaming fans during a cricket match at the world-famous Melbourne Cricket Ground.
2. Watch the surfers at Bells Beach, soaking up the sun from the same sand that has been home to the country’s longest-standing surfing competitions since 1962.
3. Be wowed by a competitive footy match at Docklands Stadium in Melbourne.
Top 3 Can't-Miss Museums
1. Explore Hobart’s art scene and the eccentric, privately owned Museum of Old and New Art (MONA).
2. See a daring, modern collection at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney.
3. Stand in the beautiful shrine and world-class museum within the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
The Best of Authentic Australia: Do as the Locals Do
1. Soak in the scene at Adelaide’s popular laneway bars sipping a glass of locally-grown Shiraz.
2. Revel in the lively sights, sounds, tastes, and smells at Hobart’s famous Salamanca market.
3. Watch the sun set behind the city from atop Kings Park & Botanic Garden in Perth.
Brisbane's Incredible Views to Savor Your Surroundings
1. Paddle an illuminated kayak up the Brisbane River on your way to a relaxing riverside feast of fresh king prawns.
2. Float over Surfers Paradise in a hot air balloon tour of the Gold Coast.
3. See the Sunshine Coast at your own speed from the maintained trails at Noosa National Park.
Inspired by this article and want to speak with an expert travel agent about how you can plan an unforgettable vacay in Australia? Let one of Vacation’s on-call travel experts match you with an expert travel agent to customize an itinerary you’re gonna love.